In early May 2017 The West Marion community held a ground-breaking ceremony for a new garden that will provide fresh and nourishing food for folks living in this neighborhood. We are currently planning our 3rd year of crops. We have also hired 10 youths to work in our garden last year and are on track to repeat that number this year.
The garden, named Keeping it Fresh, has grown beans, squash, tomatoes, peppers, herbs, okra, cucumbers and flowers. It is located next to Addie’s Chapel United Methodist Church.
This is not the only achievement for the "Healthy Food Options" work group...
Work to Date
- Recipient of Resourceful Communities Grant for a Community Garden for 2017 & 2018
- Recipient of CSX Community Grant 2018
- Recipient of Lowe's Community Grant 2018
- Partnered with McDowell Schools to offer the summer feeding program in West Marion.
- Partners with McDowell Local Food Advisory
- Partners with Foothills Food Hub
- Partners with Manna Food Bank for Pop-up Markets
- Marketed the YMCA’s Mobile Market to the community
- Host Community Thanksgiving Dinner for three years serving over 800 plates to residents in McDowell County
- Continue to donate produce to the elderly and low income residents.